Borrowing Money against Your Business: The Options Available

Comparatively few businesses get by without borrowing money. Ranging from the smallest start-ups to the largest multinational conglomerates, on-hand capital is rarely enough to leverage major growth and development opportunities.

Financial products and services for businesses are in no short supply, though in all instances have their own unique pros and cons. Listed below are pointers as to why it is important to consider all available options, before deciding which lending stream suits your business, your budget and your objectives.

Borrowing from a Mainstream Lender

Most major High Street banks offer a variety of loans and other financial prod-ucts for businesses. As a general rule of thumb, borrowing from a mainstream lender means submitting a convincing application with robust evidence of strong financial performance. How much you can borrow (and whether you will qualify in the first place) is established on the basis of your firm’s turnover, financial position, future projections and so on. Your own experience and business acumen may also be taken into account, making mainstream lenders a less than ideal option for smaller and newer businesses.

Business Bridging Loans

Bridging finance can be ideal in instances where the funds are needed as quickly as possible. Depending on the size of the loan required and other key factors, a bridging loan can be arranged and accessed within 48 hours. In addition, bridging loan eligibility is assessed near-exclusively on the basis of security – aka collateral. Specialist lenders are often willing to consider all types of properties and assets, which would not be considered eligible by most mainstream lenders. Bridging finance is designed to be repaid within a matter of months, typically on the basis of a monthly interest charge of less than 0.5%.

Commercial Property Loans and Mortgages

It may be possible to secure a mortgage or similar loan against a commercial property that is under your ownership. The amount you can borrow will be determined by the equity you have in your property – i.e. how much of the existing mortgage you have paid off. Commercial property loans can open the door to affordable monthly repayments, though can work out comparatively costly long-term and are typically available exclusively to those with a strong credit history.

Invoice Factoring

This can be a surprisingly accessible, affordable and flexible solution for small and large businesses alike. Invoice factoring essentially places a middleman between the business and its clients. When an invoice is issued by the business, the invoice factoring service immediately pays a proportion of its value – typically around 75%. When the client pays the balance of the invoice at a later date, the business collects the remaining 25% minus the costs of the service.  Invoice factoring can be great for both avoiding and dealing with temporary or long-term cash flow issues.

This block contains unexpected or invalid content.ResolveConvert to HTML

Peer-to-Peer Borrowing

Lastly, P2P borrowing enables businesses to access competitive loans for all purposes directly from investors. P2P lending platforms eliminate the middleman from the equation, enabling those lending money to businesses to offer small and large sums of cash with much lower overall borrowing costs. P2P borrowing is also a viable option for applicants with a poor credit history, which may not be a key eligibility factor with some P2P lenders.

To learn more about the most competitive business borrowing options available or to discuss your requirements in more detail, contact a member of the team at Bridgingloans.co.uk for an obligation-free consultation.

jade-buswell

Bridgingloans.co.uk is a trading style of UK Property Finance Ltd which is authorised and regulated by The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) FRN no 667602. Think carefully before securing debts against your home. Your property could be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your mortgage or on any other debt secured on it. The team at UK Property Finance have many years of experience in all types of regulated and unregulated property finance, in-particular bridging finance and property development finance. Not all property finance products are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

(c) 2007 - 2022 UK Property Finance