0116 402 7982

Second Charge FCA Loans And Bridging Loans

Following the change in regulatory body from the Consumer Credit Act (CCA) to Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), confusion still surrounds on what is and is not an FCA regulated second charge or second legal mortgage/loan or bridging loan on a client’s main residence.

Due to the change in requirements it has also become increasingly difficult to locate a lender who is willing to fund these type of second charge loans as many lenders are not able to accept the increased supervision and constraints (such as not being able to charge for a valuation fee) and as such have decided to completely withdraw from this sector of the market. Potentially, the FCA now regulates all second charge loans over £25,000 which is secured on an applicant’s own home. All loans of less than £25,000 are automatically regulated.

The few exemptions on loans over £25,000 are as follows:

  • If the majority, (over 50%) of the loan is to be used for business purposes. The business uses will often need to be fully documented as it will not be enough for a borrower just to say that the loan is for business purposes. Examples of business uses can be related to BTL or investment property purchases, commercial property issues such as investment into the premises or purchasing the freehold, cash flow problems, purchasing stock and machinery, business start-ups, company debts, end of year tax payments etc. (providing this is not a personal debt). Business borrowing is available to individuals, sole traders or Ltd company directors.
  • If the client is a high net worth individual with annual prove-able income of over £150,000 or assets (not including their own residence) of in excess of £500,000 this will also be an exempt second charge loan or bridging loan. If the application is on a joint basis then both applicants will need to satisfy the assets or income assessment test.

The new rules are viewed by lenders in a manner that means that even a rolled up bridging loan which requires no monthly payments is no longer acceptable if a client has limited or no proof of income.


The advice and processing on all financial products introduced via this website will be handled by UK Property Finance Ltd, which is authorised by The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) no 667602. The FCA do not regulate all mortgages such as Buy to Let and Commercial. Think carefully before securing debts against your home. Your property could be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your mortgage or any other debt secured on it.

Association of Bridging Professionals
Scroll To Top